End of an Era, Start of a New One

I would normally not use a word like era to describe a part of my life because I consider it for more important parts of history such as the Cold War Era.  However Miriam-Webster.com defines era to mean a a memorable or important date or event; especially : one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing

That is most definitely where I am at right now.  I am moving between two distinct periods in my life as I write this first blog.  I have been part of Mauldin United Methodist's local, regional and short term foreign mission teams since 2001.  I have been blessed to go by myself, with teams from other groups, with teams from Mauldin UMC, leading teams.  I have been blessed to serve on short term mission teams, outreach committees, Methodist men's fellowship.  Over this period of time I have been blessed to go on 17 short term foreign mission trips.  This July I went on what may be my last trip with Mauldin UMC to work with Scripture Union of Peru.  This was the tenth trip for our church as well as my tenth trip to Peru on a mission trip (I had one trip in the military).  In ten trips we had grown so much to the point where we got to do some pretty amazing projects like clean out their lake at Camp Kimo and build bridges for the boys to walk over the stream.

I have had the pleasure for 5 trips to Tanzania, two leading Mauldin UMC teams.  This is where it all started for me in 2001 as Mark Davidson and I trekked over into a world of unknown possibilities.  For me it was not about what I would see there or the travel conditions and things that most are are not sure about.  I had been to quite a few places in the world and never to the tourist spots but to locations much like the village in Yullansoni.  My unknown at the time had more to do with my relationship with God and how I did not understand my part in his will.

It took those short term mission trips for me to fully understand the answer to that question and for me to fully understand that the problems with my relationship with God had to do with me putting other things in the way.  He was always there waiting on me patiently, much more patiently that I was once I realized he wanted to be involved in serving others on a more full time basis.  I tried my best to speed up the process and get "out there" in some way full time as quickly as possible.  Fortunately none of that worked out because the perfect opportunity was to become a reality just this year.  To go back and serve in the village where it had all started, where I first began to realize God did want me to be a part of the work He had planned.  

So I sit here writing about the end of one era and the beginning of a new one (at least I hope it lasts long enough to be considered an era).  This last short term mission trip put to rest some of the past era so I could begin this new one.  Most notably my old military black boonie hat that made all 17 trips as well as countless fundraising efforts.  This hat has become part of what people recognize in my short term mission life. Over the years it had become sweat stained beyond cleaning, frayed at the edges and threadbare in areas.  While hiking to the waterfall this year in Peru the hat tore in one the threadbare areas across the top.  Not a small tear either.  As I looked the hat and its very well worn state, I realized this was the last time to just go somewhere for a week or two to work.  The hat served well that era of my life. 


It is time to move into my new era as a full time missionary in Tanzania.  Everything has fallen into place, training is complete, fundraising is in full swing and the house is up for sale (another era ended having lived there for 20 years).  I approach this new era understanding it is not a change in era between short term mission trips and being a full time missionary.  What many don't realize is the short term mission trips are not really short term for me.  I lived them throughout the year and every week something went on, was needed or simply came up about our week in Peru or our two weeks in Tanzania.  I have been living like I was a full time missionary for many years now.

The change in era is that now I get to live with the  people I serve and really learn about their culture and their lives in ways I could never do just visiting for a couple weeks.  This is the part of missions I have been wanting to do for so long and God patiently kept me from it until everything was in place that I could go to the site that was perfect for me, my first short term mission trip site.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-11

Prayer Requests-That the House sells quickly, the chance to get the word out by speaking to various churches and small groups

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I went to the birds?

Water/Maji

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari