When Habits Fail

Well after writing about habits last time and working to get myself back into certain habits like my blog, Barnabas stories and walking, I have to say the beginning of 2016 has turned into a failure so far.  Not because I have not tried.  I am currently looking at my internet speed of a "lightening" 57 KB/s  (3G is required to provide peak data rates of 200 KB/s and 3.5G is supposed to be in the MB/s).  What has happened to blazing speeds last year of 100 KB/s where I could actually access Google mail without it constantly warning me to switch to the old version for slower speeds (the version that prevents me from doing much of anything).  Well since returning the Vodacom internet I normally use and have paid for is not connecting at all and that has forced me to seek out other carriers who have slower speeds.

As for fixing the Vodacom, I have done everything I can do to search out solutions and going to the store in town is a waste of time as they have around 50 people at one time trying to get help from three employees who don't seem to know anything but how to log money transactions and set up new accounts.  They don't even have USB modems for sale anymore because the person who knew how to set them up left.

I normally will have to work on the blog early in the morning to get most of the photos uploaded so I can take advantage of that blazing 57 speed.  So I have not gotten back into my habit of blogging yet.  As for walking, well it is rainy season and I need to pray they get enough rain to grow crops so I can't really be upset when it rains 4 days in a row can I?

Fortunately not all is lost.  We have had some great success as we start our new year.  The first item will be featured in our March Newsletter (our meaning Full Dimension Ministry).  One of the ladies who came in for regular checkups for her pregnancy with our new program to encourage that by offering free medicines in addition to  the already free staff time recently went into Singida for a C-Section and has a healthy baby girl.  This is big because those regular checkups found the issues that lead to her having a C-Section at a regional (not district) hospital (ours site is a clinic which is lower than both a district and a regional hospital).  The truck we purchased last year provided ambulance service for the mother and her husband.


I have finall gotten to use the TV for the pre-school to show them educational cartoons.  Here we are with our first attempt where I showed Ubongo kids videos. http://www.ubongokids.com/ Instead of  using the generator I used parts of my solar power system thinking it would be easier than pushing the generator through the loose and wet sand.  I seemed to forget that battery weighed about 100 lbs and it was 1/4 mile to the school.  Some things to work on there.

We also got a chance to visit at the local primary school and do some outreach health training.  The first visit focused on malaria and was conducted by our doctor and one of the nurses.  Like most instruction it focused on someone lecturing and not hands on type illustrations.  Also as normal they expected me to speak to the class despite the fact I was only there to watch and take pictures.


It has been an interesting first month back in the saddle with the rain and lack of internet, but I hope we continue to get things done on a regular basis despite any potential setbacks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari