Things going on

I have to admit that despite trying to create recurring article pieces for the blog, I struggle with what to write about almost every week.  This week for instance I just don't have a lot to discuss on my mind.  So I will do one of those multi-topic type posts that hopefully cover most of the wanderings of my mind.

First up is a big thank you to a private donation so that we could purchase a brand new binocular microscope with an LED light to take advantage of the solar power generation.  The picture is of Gifty testing it out.  

Second some pictures from my recent trip (a month ago) to Arusha.  These are travel pictures and one features a Masai hut style home.



This last week I finished up working on the door jamb to the medical ward clinic.  I am always amazed that every door jamb will incur termite damage and need to be replaced but all the door frames are made not to be removed.  To remove one you have to pull out a set of nails that serve no real purpose in holding in place but will damage a section of brick when you remove it.


This was an interesting piece to replace because they had a slot cut down one side of the frame for the hinges.  I was especially thankful for the power tools as I am not sure how to make that without a table saw, router or at least (like I used) a circular saw.  It appears they made the original in town and brought it out.

Another fun fact is how hard it is to find a straight board sometimes.  Being that we are one of the end pieces of the chain of delivery the boards have been moved and stacked several times while they were wet and they have warped.  So after cutting and prepping the board it had to be de-warped if we can use that as a word.
I am using the bitumastic paint to coat the board before we installed it then painted it the color of the rest of the frame.  Hopefully the bitumastic paint will be enough like soaking it in diesel to keep the termites from making it their home.
We replaced all the concrete plaster to seal it up and used every type of anchor bolt I could find big enough to use to anchor it to the wall.  We also had to repair the lock set as it appears the key was lost.

This weekend I have had a couple of fun things to work on.  The first was paying custom taxes on the package my parents sent me with junk food from the states.  That took about three hours of waiting in the bank line to pay the tax after it was assessed.  At least four arguments about who had been standing in line and left to do something and came back wanting their spot.

I also did church on the rocks and listened to the sermon from my home church and a couple praise hymns as I was by myself (well me and the cows).

I have also been working of getting all my continuing education hours for my Professional Engineering license renewal.  I am up to twenty of the required thirty and I have until the end of June so I should have no trouble getting it finished up.

I was excited that last week's conversation with Barnabas got noted by Ubongo Kids and they retweeted it.  Now all I need is Tiny House Nation to notice one of my Tiny House Tanzania episodes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari