The importance of participating in fellowship

Wow the weeks fly by so quickly here at home.  I had a great time in Tampa visiting with old friends and some wonderful opportunities to speak at Bayside Church in Safe Harbor, FL.  In the coming week I will be speaking at Mauldin UMC Men's breakfast fellowship Sunday June 10th at 7:30 AM and then at  Pelham Road Baptist Church's 11 AM service.  I hope to see a large crowd at the Men's fellowship if for no other reason than it is GREAT food.  I also will be telling stories at Wednesday night  potluck dinner at Mauldin UMC.  Dinner is at 5:30 pm and the show normally starts at 6 ish

I still have middle of the week opportunities and the weekends of the 17th and 24th (Sunday School, late service only available).  So my friends in TN, Charleston, NC and KY will hopefully get me a group to talk to before I leave.

This week I am going to talk about Father's day a little bit and some of the things my dad did to shape me.  Everyone knows how much my Mother has shaped my life by everything she does but I am not sure how much people know about the influence my dad had.  Especially after I tell my testimony and share that when I told my mom I was going to leave the military and go to college to study engineering she told me that is what dad does and I honestly had no idea.  Dad was not known for bringing his work home with him though he often stayed there to get it all done.  


Dad with me in Greensboro when I was less than a year old

One of the things I remember most about growing up is the fact we got up early one Sunday a month and went with dad to the Men's fellowship breakfast at church.  Dad often took us along for the men's retreats at Asbury Hills camp.  That is why I am so sad when I see so few young father's at the fellowship breakfast on the second Sunday of the month at 7:30 am.  

Now I am not saying there are not other opportunities to be a good Christian role model to your children for both dads and moms in many activities of the church, but the fellowship of men at breakfast was always unique in my opinion.  In so many activities the parents are doing something for the kids like VBS, Kid's choir, youth retreats etc.  They are great chances for your kids to see you interact and participate in the church.  But a men's fellowship was always a little different, much like a the women's circle meetings.  This is a time for them to just be a little more of themselves and not having to work.  They get to spend time with their kids a little more, the children get a chance to see the pride in their father's eye as he introduces them around.  I used to get so excited each time one of the men I respected would remember my name and especially something I had done (if it was good thing).

It was also great to see them discuss opportunities to help the church and debate which ways were the best stewardship of resources.  I remember having to go home and look those words up to find out what they meant.  Then taking years of listening to those discussion before really  understanding what it meant. I think the best part was how passionate they would get about something and then talk about getting together for a multiple family trip to the lake after arguing with each other.

What can I tell you about participating in small groups especially those like Men's fellowship breakfast and Women's circles is that if you have children and take them they will see a part of your Christian discipleship they may never get to see otherwise.  If you don't have kids or yours are grown up and away, it is one of the best (I really mean best) ways to join the community and feel connected in your church.

I am thankful for our church and the men's fellowship because it has not only been a financial supporter of my work in the mission field but they have helped shape me as a leader in my community both here in the USA and Tanzania

So even if you don't come this Sunday to hear me speak (though I hope you do), please visit sometime.  Oh by the way the men's group does not discriminate so ladies if you want to come visit they have always welcomed you.
My first haircut (now you know why I like a high and tight)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari