Unfortunately this is not a new record!

My favorite Sunset photo of week.
It is unfortunate but I have to say my second visit to the hospital in a month is not a record.  I wish it was but let's be honest I led a life that leads to hospital visits.  Never thought I would be doing it in the mission field though.  My apologies up front if this one rambles or has a lot of errors, they gave me some good pain meds last night to make me sleep.

For those that don't do Facebook, I had some really good news Tuesday-my rib went back into place.  I wrapped it up and was feeling good for the first time in two weeks.  Normally you don't do anything to risk popping one back out for a week after you get it back in.  Unfortunately, a meeting with contractors who had done some repair work on the site last year had been set up by the USA board.  Since I was going to have to explain the problems with the work they had done, I was headed out again.  Wednesday afternoon, after spending a day looking for materials for the contractor to correct the problems with, I headed out.  During the piki piki ride out I could feel the rib move again but was able to get it back in place myself.  Part of this was due to the extra bags I had of supplies and materials I was transporting to the site.
What happens when you spray a hive in a ventilation block

So while waiting on the contractors,  I did manage to complete a couple of tasks on site.  The first was to attack the bee hives inside the overnight ward building and nurse's dorm/housing.  Those were sprayed with the new chemical I found in Singida after they ran out of the original chemical we had been using.  Still have not found a dust to use yet that would provide a more persistent effect.  That was done Wednesday night when the hives are less active,  the ward building hive is actually in the attic and the one in the nurse's dorm/housing is in a ventilation block on the exterior building wall.
The hive after spraying

Next day did a check and found some activity but significantly reduced so Thursday night the same was done.  On Friday morning there was no activity present in the hive in the ward building but because there was a patient there I was unable to punch a hole in the hive to verify activity had ceased.  Cleaned up the dead bees several times as you can see by the picture to the left.  Also included in the pictures are the hive and what happens when you spray the ventilation block hive during the day.
repairing the swing set with proper was set

In addition to the bees, I went to work on the swing set at the pre-school.  When first installed no washers were used between the nuts and the wood seats.  Over time the nuts have worn into the wood and all the way through.  So I had to find some WD-40 alternative.  That was fun as only one store in Singida carries it and it was the 40th something hardware, nuts and bolt, lubrication and automotive parts store I had been to looking for it.  By the way it was in an automotive parts store. I removed all but four nuts-two had been stripped previously by someone trying to repair and two were going to need another can of D4 which is the alternative here.  I placed double washers on the each bolt I had nuts to replace with and took one back into town so I could hunt for more nuts that size.  In all I got all three swing sets ready for basic operation (one bolt connected on each side).  Will cut the stripped bolts once I have new nuts to replace with.
testing the lights with the battery
A Tanzanian Electrical Junction Box

Thursday afternoon and most of Friday I spent the day working on the solar power system for the medical clinic which has become non-functioning.  Basically it does not keep enough of a charge to run things first thing in the morning or overnight.  Or at least the DC to AC inverter and the five phones they are constantly charging.  One thing I have learned those phones are important, many operate as the flashlights by the staff members.  The lights were removed from the building previously and there is some question as to by whom but I will go with the evidence on that factor.  I had brought out four new lights, this time DC lights.  I was thinking that the lower power DC lights may take four to  properly illuminate a room for medical purposes.  After a test run, the doctor felt two per exam room and his office would be sufficient but I explained a plan to create some directional lamps that would be DC powered as well and he liked that idea.  So after going through the mess of cut up wiring above the ceiling, I found enough pieces to properly wire two rooms. Now the next step was figuring out how to rewire one of the switches still in good condition to interrupt a DC light circuit instead of the AC system they were designed for.  It took two tries to make sure I had it right but then we were in business.  Unfortunately the only ladder on site is made from spare wood parts and is a straight ladder-nothing to do the work at ceiling height.   So I had to lower the cables down to working height standing on a chair and then pull the cables until the light fixture was at the ceiling.  Not my best work, but considering the obstacles I will take it.
two lights in exam room

At night I was able to work on a decorative cap for the ladies and show them how to make one.  Still not finished designing it myself, though I am sure there is a pattern for it somewhere on the internet.  Some of you may be interested that I am starting a second blog dealing with the crochet class and trying to come up with craft and crochet ideas that can help out here.  It is called The Yarn's Over and will be at www.theyarnsover.blogspot.com.  

So after two and half days after the scheduled show up time, the contractors will still not on site.  Having expended all the materials I could bring to the site at one time, I decided to head back to Singida.  Did the normal 5 AM wake up and start to walk in the dark at 5:30 to arrive at the bus stop at 7 AM.  The bus was not too bad arriving at 7:30 (second bus as the first was not headed to Singida).  It was crowded, as it appears something big is going on in Tanzania this weekend.  It even included three site staff members I did not know where headed my way.  So a three hour bus ride standing as people constantly crawl over you to get to the front or the back.  Double checking and hiding everything in my pockets in some way that nobody can pickpocket me.  Somewhere along the way I felt it again.  So after arriving in town, shooting a quick note to the board to tell them the contractors were a no show as well as the money to buy the supplies they wanted me to buy for the contractors, and I am headed back to the hospital.  The doctor took only two tries but got it back in and a sadist of a nurse wrapped me up this time.  Then I got the hour long lecture about not traveling until the muscles healed and can keep the rib in place.  I have been given strict rules for no travel on piki piki or by the buses for two weeks this time instead of one week.  
Barnabas showing how I feel after Nurse wrapped my chest


So here is to a week of working on the computer and in town, he did say I could walk around after a day of rest.  Even made sure I took a taxi back to my hotel.

This is Africa without the correct tools.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari