End of Year Tests, Alternative Christmas Gifts

Last week, I talked about the Christmas gifts as a single blog because I felt it deserved it's on spotlight.  Today I want to finish up our school year and the final testing.

When I went around talking during my trip home in June, I told folks we had a goal of increasing the academic performance through our school.  Typically a passing grade for a government school would be 21% and even at that level only a handful pass.  Our goals were 100% passing with a passing grade of 60%.  With the exception of the child I have mentioned with a learning disability and one of the kids who joined our school in the last month, all of our kids passed with a grade over 60.  The school average was 85.76.

Our reading and writing scores maintained their previous increases that showed up after starting the "Reading with Barnabas" program.  We had several kids continue to show great progress in their grades.  In fact two of the students that joined us in the second term, that have been showing such great progress, made into the top three for their class.


Standard 1 Class:  From Left-Kimani, Grace, Obed and Gladness

Pre-Unity from left: Dorice, Nice and Baraka P.

Baby class from left:  Gertrude, Wolther, Catherine and Mineal
We also had a day after the test, but before we had our awards day and closing of the school meeting.  So while the teacher's prepared all of the student's individuals performance cards to take home to their parents, I set up a Movie Theater in one of the classrooms.  I tried to create a leveling system so all 51 students could see my laptop and watch the movie.  Since they enjoyed Justin Timberlake's "Can't stop this feeling" so much I showed them the movie "Trolls"  It was as expected a big hit with the kids mesmerized.  I did however institute a 20 minute intermission rule, where I stopped the movie every 20 minutes and made the kids run a lap around the school and take a bathroom break.  This helped with the fidgeting and inevitable pinching and pushing.




For those of you who have loved hearing about our school, the competitions, the grades, the vomit and would like to be a part of the future; you can contribute to the Tumaini Evangelistic Pre & Primary School in Kiruani, Tanzania by going to 





If you are looking for a last minute gift for someone, consider giving a donation in their honor.  If you do that and need a card to give them so they know what you did, please use one of the pictures below to print out a card to give them.  Since you print the card, there is no intrinsic value you have to deduct from your donation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari