Test Prep, Sermons, School Choir and pictures

The Tumaini Evangelistic Pre & Primary School choir

This week was once again a full week.  I started the week by typing in the tests the teacher's  prepared for the end of the school year.  To say I was horrified at some of the questions is an understatement.  First understand school is a lot different here than what we are used to.  The questions are all directly from their text books.  They don't create any new materials even in math here.  All the same many of the questions had to be corrected from the book.

For example one question was to use 5 words listed at the top to complete sentences.  All the words in the list were parts of the body used to do things except the last one which was carcass.

The questions all go along the line of we use our __________ to hear our mother call us, and you would answer ears.

So the question you use carcass for goes like this:  We feel smell of carcasses by __________. Where carcass would be the only remaining answer and yes nose was not one of the choices.  The teacher understood you could not feel smell or use the carcass to smell the carcasses but they did not want to change the book.  I had no problem changing it.  In fact I insisted on it.

On the mathematics exam they had the question about answer what part of the following shapes are shaded and you are to choose 1/4 or 1/2.  Here are the last three and the books answer:



Yes I insisted we change those as well.  I know I am a real mean person.  Save it for my tombstone.  On another note, I found the teachers using crayons to color on the tests, only to realize the question for the baby class (4-5 year olds) to identify color spots on the test had been greatly hampered by the headteacher copying all the tests in black and white.  


So we had some issues to work through on the tests, which I spent a major part of our English class on Thursday discussing.

This is also the next to last week for me before I head home.  So I spent a lot of time take pictures of the kids in their routine to get some good photos for the presentations when I am home.  I also recorded the school choir on Friday and am editing those videos a little bit to get them ready for my presentations.  Time to remind everyone they can contact me direct if you would like for me to speak to your church, your church group, Sunday School class, a group of friends you think would be interested in hearing about this project and seeing the progress we have made in just one year.  I don't mind traveling to speak.  Since I am just home for a month I try to keep those trips within a days drive, but I am willing to discuss further.















I also finished up the washcloth project this week.  Ended up having to make 63 to include all the adults who saw what I was doing and requested one.  I spent my evenings this week assembling their gift bags but I will do a full blog on that next week to cover handing them out to the kids.  It was a good thing I finished because this is my remaining yarn.

I had the sermon at the local Assemblies of God church this week since I was leaving the area before next Sunday.  I used the verses in Malachi to discuss giving our best and from James to discuss that also means our deeds not just our financial giving.  It was not one of my better sermons, but several folks still told me they liked it.  But as they told us in Laity class, they were probably just being nice.  We finished up by blessing the gift bags for the kids. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari