The world is under a self quarantine. What is a Christian to do?

This is Mery's bible story book she got a year and a half ago.  She has worn the cover and several  pages off of it in that time.  During times like this it is good to make sure we spend time daily reading the Bible and communicating with God.  While it is ok to be afraid of this virus, you can find comfort and strength in your beliefs.
I need to be honest about a couple of things at the beginning of this blog.  I have mainly seen just numbers dealing with the pandemic and am not sure why this virus outbreak has caused such an uproar and disruption to the world (I do mean world here).  I assume it must be a non-tangible bit of information, something that cannot be quantified because the numbers don't match previous plain flu outbreaks much less avian or swine flu.

Secondly, I struggled with what to write about with all of this going on.  Countries closing their borders and cancelling flights, entire states closing their school systems, the NBA cancelled their season, worse March Madness was cancelled. Just as I came to grips with something to write about that was not virus related, Tanzania confirmed their first case.  I have an unconfirmed line in a news article (at the very bottom after all the ads) that says that Tanzanian schools will be closed.  That information did not show up anywhere else.  Then the Peace Corp announced they were recalling all Peace Corp Volunteers from everywhere.
Our day guard, helping one of the students fix their shoe.

After all of that, how could I not write something.  My first thought this weekend as my email was flooded with every restaurant I have ever visited, ever company I have ever visited the website of sending me their official statement about how they are working to protect their customers was that this was Y2K all over again.  Remember that one, it was a computer glitch or fault not a virus that was going to cause the world to crash when January 1, 2000 rolled around and all the computers were going to think it was January 1, 1900 because they had only used 2 digit year codes.  Every company issued an official statement about how they were dealing with the problem to personally save the universe.  I really think (personal opinion here) if you are not closing, changing to a drive thru only or moving to a digital delivery platform only you may not need to issue an official statement.
Our Standard 3 students learning about sound energy through the string and tin can phone

While I have enjoyed reading all the memes about toilet paper hoarding (really USA), I have mainly been impressed to hear stories about people helping.  Yes some very rich sports personalities have donated their pay to help those who run the venues where they play while they are out of work due to shut downs.  Those are great.  But I am more impressed with school systems that realize some folks depend on school breakfast and lunch for their kids financially and have set up locations to pick up those meals to go every day.  Even more impressed by folks who are offering to pick up those meals or help deliver items to people more at risk or who cannot get out for any reason.  Some of the folks who hoarded and some who did not but have an abundance have also offered to share with those who are not as able to get through these tough times.  Some of those official letters I did not mind so much were from power companies that said they would not shut  peoples electricity off during this time, internet providers offering free services to students (I have not verified that one so sorry if it is a hoax), subscription based home school services offering their products for free.

This is the way it should be, regardless of your beliefs but especially for a Christian.  We have to step up and show kindness and compassion to others during these times.  We need to stand up to the fear of the disease and trust in God to help us help others.  Don't get me wrong take common sense precautions but you can still help others.  You can call (remember that gadget you keep in your hand can be used as a phone) to check on your friends and neighbors.  If they are sick and need things, help get them what they need and leave it in their garage or front door and let them know they can come get it.  If you have kids give them crayons and paper and let them make cards for the most at risk, the elderly and stick it in their door or mailbox.  Governments are designed to help with the big picture, we as humans are designed to help on a compassionate level.

With that in mind, I am first going to share some of my favorite free online resources I use with the kids at our school then I am going to share some ways you can use the virtual mission trip to digitally connect with your neighbors and the world.  Lastly when I return to site, I was traveling this week but am headed back, I will strive to fill up my Facebook timeline with cute pictures, positive stories and things that help to uplift during these tough and trying times.

YouTube resources for your kids:

Freeschool:  lots of great videos explaining things as well as information on animals and places in the world.  Good for young and older kids.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCebMFnw6WxozGmqGekJHOJg

Storyline Online:  Actors reading stories.  This was the beginning of my "Reading with Barnabas" program.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnBdzaRy-Ky9Vh54XJlFz1Q

Akili and Me:  Tanzanian based educational cartoons featuring Akili and her friends.  The channel I am giving you is in English but they cover a variety of topics in addition to the norm like counting and letters.  Things like feelings and eating healthy.  This is more geared to the younger kids like preschool and 1st and 2nd grade.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0TLvo891eEEM6HGC5ON7ug

BookBox INC. is another reading stories program.  This has more of an India feel to the stories but many are in English.  I like it because they use the scroll text with highlighted word as they read the story.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHD0-6opjI0paLJj6P-f2sA

Learn Engineering:  These guys do a great job explaining technical items like DC vs AC and how a clutch works etc.  This is for high schoolers and adults who want to learn some.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZQJ4600a9wIfMPbYc60OQ

Learning Excel and PowerPoint techniques.  This one is again for high school, college and adults who want to pick up their skill level.  I use this one to help figure out things like creating Pivot Tables that do exactly what I want, dashboards and new functions that Microsoft puts out.  The lady who teaches is Leila Gharani and she is one of the better ones I have visited.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtUOos_MwJa_Ewii-R3cJA

Playing for Change:  This site has groups or individuals from around the world sing the same song then combines them all together to focus on our common love of music more than our differences.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn25nZ12HEZq_w_m_1DmbbA

Things you can be doing through the virtual mission trip.  What better timing to work on reaching out across the street or across the world through a virtual trip than while you are self quarantined at home for a month.  For more information, check out this blog on creating a virtual mission trip. https://steveandbarnabas.blogspot.com/2019/07/virtual-mission-trip.html

Read stories for others:  If you are grandparents separated from your grandkids then record yourself reading them a story.  If you want to record yourself reading to your grandkids and then send it to me even better.  I will share it with my students.  

You can do the same thing when you are bored at home and you think hey I could show the basics for playing a guitar, or humming on a harmonica, band instruments.  I don't need polished professional videos to share with my kids.  I just need you to showing something to them.  

Don't want to do a video or have young kids at home you need to get involved.  Write a letter or draw a picture and send them to me electronically like a pen pal program or picture exchange between my kids and your kids.  

steveintanzania@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari