A week in

It is hard to believe I am already a week in and as promised I am not going to let too much time get by without giving an update.  The biggest problem this first full week is what I should include because there is so much to tell everyone about.  I hope not to bore those who have been here or other parts of the world on mission trips because some of this will seem old hand maybe but for those whose ministry is the support of those who go to these locations I feel called to share some of my life here. 

First for everyone asking:  Barnabas is fine, his hibernation state is over and he is out and about in town.  We will start with him as a matter of fact.  He was worried because bears are not native to Africa (look up why Paddington Bear had to come from Peru-because the author first wanted him to be from Africa until they learned Bears are not native to Africa so poor Paddington got an address change).

At William and Martha's
trying to work the development tool
Barnabas has been around the yard and house getting adjusted to his new surroundings and of course getting all the sleep dust out of his eyes.  Those who meet Barnabas all want to shake his hand and see what is in the backpack he never goes anywhere without.  The first order of business for Barnabas was checking out the home of William and Martha Makali who have so graciously hosted me.  After that he played with the child development tool made by Lynda S. at Mauldin United Methodist Church. Not surprising he could not get the animals on the cone in the right order his first (or second) try.  After that he wondered if he could go about starting ministries like those at home in making bears or better yet the crocheted Frisbees that I love so much.  After a full morning in town going from shop to sho we gave up on finding yarn and crochet needles in the size we are  used and settled on a 1.9mm needle (the biggest they had) and yarn appropriately sized (also the only style of yarn they had).  The skein of yarn and one needle cost 2200 TSH (shillings) which is about $1.37 US.  I did make a Frisbee but the yarn is so light it will not fly more than a couple of feet without getting blown off course by even the slightest wind.  Next one I will make will be out and back to make a double layer Frisbee to see if that gives it enough weight.  Will also have to add weight to the outside rim to get a strong spin going.  Pictures of Barnabas at the house and with the shopkeeper and at lunch to the side full album at Barnabas Bear's Facebook page.

with yarn shopkeeper
roasted beef and ugali yum!
Sunday we went to church at the Vineyard church was a mixture of people from around the world.  Some folks from Canada, California, Australia, South Korea, and local folks as well.  It was a good service and especially enjoyable as they did speak English and I got to meet some folks though not really make any friends yet.  You can find out more about the church and see pictures of it at www.arushavineyard.com I will be talking more in the coming weeks about transportation but thought a preview of the dolla dolla is in order since the church provided free transportation to their facilities.  Like most of these vehicles it is a 15 person van that is currently seating 19 with one hanging outside the sliding door. 


Most of the time they will not leave until they have 20 persons in them including the driver and someone who hangs out a window calling out the destination.  I am very glad I lost weight a couple of years ago because I cannot imagine be getting around on these at my previous weight.  At my current size I larger than most passengers especially across the shoulders.  Needless to say I have to remember to get my money out before I get in or I cannot get my hand into my pocket to pay them.

Prayer concerns you can lift up for me at the moment:

My Swahili lessons (I have just started with a tutor)
Getting a quick handle on different interpretations between what people hear in the states and what people here hear in conversations-this is one of my main reasons for being here. 

In His Service
Steve

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I went to the birds?

Water/Maji

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari