In Country

I am not one to normally write about everything that happens in my life-hence the reason I am not a great blogger.  I have made a commitment to do better both on Facebook and here on the blog to "talk" more. 

That being noted I have been here in Arusha, Tanzania with William and Martha Makali for three days now and am getting into the swing of things.  Normally when I make these trips it is go, go and more go because we only have two weeks to accomplish a lot of tasks.  This trip is slower from the perspective that I am not working on tasks as much as a way of life change and that does take time.

When I first got here after a full 24 hours of flights and layovers I was welcomed by 80 degree F temperatures at night after having a daily high of 40 at home.  The first day I spent getting adjusted to the heat and getting on the right time schedule which really meant falling asleep throughout the day as I tried to study my Swahili text.  Needless to say my neck was killing me from sleeping upright off and on all day.

The next day was much better as I got to go into town, use the internet and basically learn my way around on the dolla dolla transportation system (basically a 15 passenger van that can actually hold about 20 when pushed).  They cost about 400 shillings regardless of where you get on and where you get off and they only travel the main roads.  I have ridden these in the past but now am learning which ones I want to be on and where they will take me compared to where William and Martha live.

I did have a great experience at the Café Barrista Internet Café.  The gentlemen that runs it was able to give me some great advice on what type of device I want for internet usage.  I was looking at one of the cellular mobile hotspots similar to what they have in the US, but the monthly usage and initial cost are pretty high compared.  So he found me a device that I can use the normal USB Cellular modem to create my on hotspot for about half the cost of the mobile hotspot. It will be Monday before I can get into my own system as I need to wait until I meet with the FDM accountant to get the money wired over for my expenses.  Thanks to the person for the last team who gave me their left over shillings they have been very useful as has the US money I brought over expecting a delay in getting the wired money.

I am embarrassed to say (Fran this is especially for you) that I had three suitcases to get everything over here.  Not so embarrassing was the fact that two of them were almost completely full with tools, toys, ministry supplies and I had not even started with clothes.  Thanks to those who paid for my extra baggage-it worked out perfectly the money given and the money needed. 

My language is going better than expected (in my mind) not sure what everyone else thinks of it.  I do well with the written from the book and translating sentences.  But I find the same problem I had with Spanish-the book says pronounce every syllable and every vowel and this word for this but instead I hear people saying the words without all the syllables and this word could be used for that but instead you should use this other word that is not even in the text.

We still have no idea (William has not gotten any answers from his requests) about where I will find an apartment in Singida.  I am not worried because that is something I just don't worry about.  I have been blessed by time in the military and previous mission trips that I know what I can live with and know that my hosts here would not dare let me go that route because they want me to be comfortable.  For example I am ok with cold water showers, but Martha boils water twice a day so I can bathe, even though I normally only do it once a day at  home.  They  are very worried about my comfort level.  I am ashamed I did not put that effort forth when they were at my house this last summer.  We Americans can still learn a lot from other people in the world.

Barnabas is still trying to hibernate thinking it is winter, I will work on breaking him out into the city some next week.

Kwa heri ya kuonana (Good bye, see you again)
Steve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I went to the birds?

Water/Maji

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari