Another step for the playground equipment

This week was full of more wood for the site.  Basically, about 1 and 1/4 time the previous order with almost all of it 1x8 boards meaning more face to be planed down.  I have so many boards I am having storage problems until I get them all ready.  So I had to use two of my 2x6 boards to make some sawhorses to store some of the wood on.
A lot of warp in this board.  This is fairly common in the wood here.

Another problem we have this time around is that the boards that will be used to face the climbing wall have to be trimmed down in size.  In the USA when you buy a 1-inch thick board it is actually 3/4" thick.  Here that board is 1 1/4" thick.  Not a problem except the bolts for the climbing handles are made for a board that is less than 1" thick.  So we have to trim those boards down almost 3/8".
What does this mean?  I ran out of diesel fuel before I finished planing the wood this week.  So I started digging out the area in the playground for the installation.
It turns out it is harder to dig sand out of a specific area of the playground than I thought it would be.  But it was done.  I got finished early on Thursday and since I was out of diesel for the generator and that is in Singida I decided to give myself a Memorial day weekend treat by going in Thursday afternoon so I could get in just before dark in the evening for an extra cold coke zero.

While this all took most of my daytime work, I got busy to make some pot holders for the cooks on site to handle the hot large pot of porridge for the kids.  After that, I thought I would make them a cleaning device as well.  I made two pot holders.  One of normal yarn to do a basic clean.  The other I made of the nylon string they use to make fishing nets out of.  This one can be used for scrubbing the pan.  I sewed the two of them together along three sides so you slide your hand in to use it.






This weekend is Memorial Day weekend.  Please remember this is the day we remember and honor those who gave all for our country.  Fallen Heroes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water/Maji

I went to the birds?

You travel all the way to Tanzania you should do a safari